Journey - Growing Out My Hair

After 10 years, why am I putting myself through the grow out pain?

I've had my hair short for almost 10 years... It's seems crazy to think that it's been that long, but even in the couple of years before I went super short, my hair got progressively shorter. And now I plan to do that in reverse.


If you watch as many grow out videos as I have (and trust me I've watched them all) you get pretty familiar with other people's horror stories... "Grow out your pixie cut is a horrible process" is the general consensus. But these people cut their hair and for the most part hated it. I, on the other hand, have loved my short hair - I've grown up with it and grown into it.



For so long it’s been a symbol of who I am. I’ve said before that I don’t get much choice on whether I stand out and for a while I wasn’t entirely okay with that. Put simply, I am now. I have accepted that and embraced it.

So why do it now? Why grow out my hair? I have two.

One - Our Wedding

As my style has become more vintage I have wanted to experiment with different styles and hair-dos, but with hair this short there just aren't many options. I've had the same hair for the last two and a half years, give or take the few weeks when I needed a haircut and I feel like it’s time for a change.

And Two - Massive Hair Envy

The last time I was in getting my hair cut (way back in October!) I was sat there in the chair and as soon as the hairdresser snipped some off the top I wanted it back!! Sadly for me it doesn't work like that. I've been waiting.

Edinburgh - Two Weeks After my Last Cut

Growing it out

The first two months were just normal. It wasn't until around Christmas that I started to notice any difference. It was getting a bit unruly. I had forgotten about the places where my hair grows in odd directions or that before my hair would grow down, it was going to grow out the way…

December - Top section rollered up, it was the only way I could keep it up

I rather optimistically asked for rollers for Christmas, but by that time it was long enough on the top to experiment with. YouTube has been an inspiration. I found videos on how to do pin curls, which I tried with limited success. But also tip for those in between phases, as well as keeping the dream alive of one day being able to do my own vintage up do.

Rollers set and ready for bed

I've also come across the numerous how to grow your hair quicker tips and taken them with a pinch of salt. There are plenty of people online promoting things like Biotin - which is supposed to help with hair growth, but if you have a vitamin deficiency surely your hair is the last place it's going to go... [As I sit writing this, I notice Biotin listed as one of the vitamins and minerals contained in my peanut butter. A quick bit of maths and it turns out 40g will give me my daily recommended intake. As someone who loved peanut butter - it’s a deal breaker for me - that's good news. 

The Scarf is my Savior! 
I've had a few Washerwoman jokes, but I like the Rosie the Riveter comparison best. This scarf really has been a godsend. I can clip down and hide the crazy side bits underneath it. And best of all it's true vintage; one of my Gran's many scarves. I have bought a couple of tie head bands, but this scarf is my absolute favourite. 

Four Months In and Desperate for a Haircut

It's seems kind of counter intuitive or counterproductive that at four months growth I went and got a haircut. I’m not sure I could have gone much longer; it was getting a bit too long in the back, but that’s been remedied now. I knew that when I got my hair cut it would probably be into a style similar to when I was younger.

And this made me nervous. The only thing certain in life is change (I sound like an oracle). I know I have come a long way since then, so why was I so worried that as soon as my hair went back to how it used to be I would too. I’ve worked hard the last few years to get my body to a place where I can do all the things I want to do and nothing really slows me down. 

Back then I had a different outlook on life; I was flicking back through my Facebook photos for some to include on this post and I am a little bit shocked at how many of the pictures and albums are booze-centric. Yes I was at uni, but surely I did more than that? This girl loves an Old Fashioned, but for the most part I am the obstinately sober one now...  It's all just a distraction from real life.



I guess the fact that I have recognised this and confronted this means I’m not the same person I used to be, regardless of what my hair looks like. So no matter whether you grow your hair or cut it all off you can’t go back to who you were then. 

But then again, why would you want to? Life is so good now. 



Jennifer xoxo



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6. Race Review: Man Vs. Çoast

7. Race Review - Man Vs. Lakes