6. Race Review: Man Vs. Çoast

23 miles across Cornwall's rugged coastline, dipping into the sea, over the top of long abandoned tin mines all the way to the end of the road at Land's End.

The Inaugural Event!

I've spent the last week recovering from Man vs Coast, hence the lack of post last week. It was a grueling 23 miles (although Paddy's Garmin recorded just shy of of 26 miles) and my thighs were definitely feeling it. But it combined the natural obstacles of the Cornish Coast with some more man made ones. 


Sennen Cove

Travel & Registration

Anyone that has ever travelled to Cornwall will know that there only seems to be one road in and out of that county. We chose to travel down on the Thursday and make a wee holiday out of the trip, it's such a long way to go from Birmingham never mind the North West. The trip down was great; I regaled Paddy with facts about nuclear power stations the further south we got. When we started to see signs for Bridgwater it all got a bit too much... The building site of the country's next nuclear power station and two previous generations of reactors. We're back in the south west next month, I may have to go visit Hinkley Point. I'll be like a kid in a sweet shop.

Anyway, we decided not to camp this time. After Arran I was crippled. Although we have just bought some camp beds so that might help - I'll keep you posted. We stayed at this campsite come bunkhouse with real-life beds. Two singles, so we had to push them together so we could cuddle (and guess who ended up in the crack between the two). Half an hour from the finish line at Land's End and a short drive into St. Ives. We spend Thursday night exploring St. Ives, at our own peril. We were warned, but still got swooped by seagulls. They were not getting my chips, code for I ran away screaming!

We ate our ice creams undercover, hiding from the seagulls

Pre-Race Preamble

Registration on Friday was super easy... Just a quick drive down to Penzance. The hard part was finding somewhere to park at the sports center and remembering my ID. We got our race numbers and trackers and we were all set for the next day. The only thing left to do was for me to try and break in my newly purchased trainers.

Sunday of the week before Man vs. Coast rolled and I was without trainers. I’ve been on a couple of runs last week in various pairs of trainers and each pair has left me with some sort of niggle: they weren’t quite wide enough for my feet; there was no arch support; or they are just too worn. I have a pair of New Balance trainers that I have loved to death. These are the shoes that got me into running. I watched my Parkrun time come down in those trainers and I am reluctant to get rid of them; despite them letting in water and having a small hole in the toe… A trip to Sport Direct before we left and a pair of men's Salomons later I was sorted.

So off we went for a walk on St Michael's Mount in my new trainers. The only thing missing was the suncream. A few hours later and cue me looking like a lobster - shoulders all red and thinking about having to wear my ultra pack tomorrow. Crying face.One bottle of vinegar later and I was looking less red and feeling less sore. I slathered myself in aftersun and went to bed hoping for the best!

The Big Event!

One bowl of porridge and copious amounts of coffee later and I was so excited, so ready for the run.




The kit list had included a dry bag for all of your things, so I was expecting to get wet, but not straight off the start line. 200m and we were into the water. Out of the water, up the beach and into a tunnel under the road. The first check point and 10km in I was dying. The combination of the heat and the hills. This was going to be a tough one.

Man vs Coast Rout Map

That long straight along the coastal path was both amazing and torture at the same time. The views were spectacular, but the sun was unbearable. I've never run that far in such unrelenting heat. It radiated back off the plants and the sand and the rocks. And I wasn't the only one suffering. Paddy was too... Which meant I had a chance of keeping up with him. Ha ha ha. Until I hit the wall and just didn't want to run/walk anymore. Paddy managed to coax me through the last few miles; with encouraging words and sweets. All the sweets!

The Finish Line



That last stretch from Sennen Cove to Land's End was killer. I could see the end and yet it always seemed to be over the next hill. Until it wasn't!! The magic rule that I've picked up from my recent foray into ultra running is that you don't run up hills. But that one I was ready to sprint up. The end was at the top and I was so glad to be there. Six hours and ten minutes later... 



Thank you Cornwall. This woman came, took on the coast and wasn't beaten. Only just... It was a great route, challenging with enough sea swims to keep you cool. Roll on this weekend and Man vs Lakes - my local event. With a jog across Morecambe Bay to kick us off, what more can the Lakes throw at us? I'll let you know next week.

J xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7. Race Review - Man Vs. Lakes

Challenge 25