January - I Survived 2018, but I Plan to Thrive in 2019

Welcome back to Vintage Girl Running and another year on Planet Earth!

To say it's been a while is a bit of an under statement... 

About six months, but who's counting. I've been back at work for about two weeks and I'm find my way back into it after not even two weeks off at Christmas. Christmas, what's that again? We'll have to wait another 11 months to find out. A lot can change in those 11 months and in 2019 I'm going to try and make them changes for the better. 





I feel like I floundered a bit in 2018; somethings got good, like really good and others less so. Is happiness or enjoyment of life one of those spider web diagrams where you can only have an average value of happiness, but the parameters that make you happy can range wildly in values? Some are top notch and others are less than mediocre. But in the end they average out to a middling, happy-ish value.



I moved for work last year and have kind of been using it as an excuse. I used to go to the gym before work, run at lunch with some fabulous people from the office and go to classes in the evenings as well. I had a system that worked for me. It kept me busy, occupied and  I like the routine.
I want to get to the same place again. I feel like there is some time pressure. Got to get fit for April and not break myself in March. Paddy and I have signed up for another year of Rat Race (Yeay, I think) I don't know if I am more nervous now compared to last year. I know what to expect now, but equally I know how tough its going to be. I can't just keep coasting along, I have to put the effort in between events.


Running helps keep me active, healthy and I may even go as far as to say sane. And over the last few years I have made a conscious effort to look after my body; I became a vegetarian, I joined a gym, I actually went to the gym. But your health isn't just a physical thing. So this year I am going to make a conscious effort to look after my mental health. I was quiet on the writing front in the latter part of the year. There's that age old saying "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" and upon reflection that kind of sums up how I was feeling.



I'm good at writing down how I feel. It's easier than actually saying it out loud to another human being. At the same time I am horribly aware of how much time we all spend on our phones and the precious time I do get to spend with my loved ones I want to make count. Long distance is hard, but he is worth it. So in 2019 I'm going to make the conscious effort to live in the moment when we are together. Enjoy each other when we are together - even if that does mean being a little bit uncomfortable and saying how I feel sooner, rather than drag out the ordeal.
So 2019, a clean slate or just another trip round the sun knowing slightly more about somethings and having forgotten the other things. But three things I know I'm going to do this year:
1. Get in a routine with training (again)
2. Look after my mental health - time like this to reflect 
3. Make time for the people I love (and I've got a wedding to plan)



Are you trying something new in 2019? Or are you continuing to do something because you have been feeling the benefit? Spread the word and let me know.
Same time next month.... 
Jennifer xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7. Race Review - Man Vs. Lakes

6. Race Review: Man Vs. Çoast

Challenge 25